Tairāwhiti people will be confident, innovative users of digital technologies and skilled creators of online products and services that improve the quality of life in our community.
- We help educate and empower people in the Gisborne region to become capable, creative and confident life-long learners, creators and innovators.
- We support the establishment and operation of technology-based learning facilities within communities experiencing high levels of deprivation that have limited access to new technology. We are committed to supporting communities around the region establish "drop in" technology centres that allow local people to learn about anything computer related.
- We facilitate technology training, ownership of computer hardware and affordable internet access for families that are financially disadvantaged.
- We advocate for public and private investment to close the growing digital divide and increase digital proficiency throughout our community.
What does the Trust do?
Increasing Digital Access & Literacy
Everything the Trust does is designed to increase local access to digital technologies and the knowledge and skills of users in our communities. We organise events for Digital Experts (especially educators and business leaders), training and affordable access for those who need to upskill themselves or just become confident and regular users of ICT.
Community Computer Hubs
We work with local groups to establish public access computer hubs around the region. We have established hubs in Whatatutu and the Gisborne CBD and are working with groups in Ruatoria, Tolaga Bay, Elgin and Kaiti to establish hubs and services in their communities.
Through TaiTech, the training division of the Trust, we offer diagnotic assessments, deliver training and provide accreditation tests for the International Computer Drivers License and CISCO Academy, providing internationally recognised qualifications that can now be offered to anyone in the Tairawhiti region. Download our flyer for employers & HR Managers here: TaiTech Flyer
We also support locals to upskill themselves with courses available online. See here for self-paced training resources.
Computers in Homes
We are the provider of the 'Computer in Homes' programme for the Gisborne region. In partnership with 20/20 Communications Trust, local schools and community groups, we have provided training, computers and internet access to over 100 local families in the last year!
Affordable Internet Access
We work with local Internet Service Providers and local businesses to offer free public WiFi access and residential broadband connections to households that cannot otherwise afford commercial internet products.
Community Technology Events
We work with local authorities, businesses, educators, iwi and other stakeholders to organise community technology events including Tairawhiti TechXpo (for students, whanau, teachers and businesses) and Tairawhiti TeachXpo (for teachers).
Regional Digital Strategy
We are working with local authorities and netizens in Tairawhiti to develop a Regional Digital Strategy that will ensure the Tairāwhiti Digital_Divide is closed and our geographic isolation and technological investment and innovation is leveraged throughout the 21st Century for maximum social, economic, cultural and environmental benefit.
- Current Trustees are Maurice Alford, Tim Gander, Lara Meyer, Russell Holland and Matiu Clarke.
- Manu Caddie is our Projects Manager and Tena Baker and Jonothan Samson are our Training Coordinators.
- Income for the Trust comes from philanthropic funders, private donors and fees for IT training staff in local organisations.
Email the Trust: info@TaiTech.co.nz
© Tairawhiti Technology Trust. | Powered by EC Websites